Saturday 7 July 2012

10 Ways to Beat Stress



Do you suffer from stress? If not, it is highly likely that you know someone who does. I recently read a magazine article that revealed 21 per cent of Australian women aged between 16 and 44 years suffered from an anxiety disorder. Surprisingly, I wasn't shocked by this statistic as I have previously struggled with anxiety.

Five years ago I was working as a PR Account Manager and had recently ended a long-term relationship. At the time, I thought my nailbiting, oversensitivity and severe acne were merely signs of trying to cope with work demands and very long hours in the office (and perhaps one to many glasses of red wine in the evenings) but thanks to several open and honest conversations with a few close girlfriends, a little research and soul searching, I realised I was living with anxiety.

My lightbulb moment came one friday afternoon when I couldn't get involved in a conversation with colleagues during after-work drinks, for fear of being judged, scrutinised and generally convinced that everyone hated me. The panic swept through my body at a rate of knots and I immediately made excuses of having a headache and jumped in the first cab home before I broke down in tears. I was so shocked by my actions and response to the situation, I knew instantly I needed to find out what was going on in my head.

Now, other than my closest friends and Teach, I have never spoken about my experience because I thought confiding in someone that I suffered anxiety would generate the same type of response as when you tell them you have a fear of spiders, the dark or black cats walking under ladders - they'd look at you in confusion and try to convince you otherwise. Besides, I didn't want to be judged (a double-edged sword for someone with anxiety!).

Honestly, I don't know why I have decided to reveal this to you now, but after reading the story on anxiety I felt compelled to share with you my 10 tips for beating stress and turning anxiety on its head because it is more common than we realise, and it can be resolved.

10 WAYS TO BEAT STRESS

1. MEDITATION
Relaxation is very important to allow your mind to breathe and reboot. Simple, slow breathing can work wonders to hep you feel grounded, at ease and re-energise your soul. If you're not one with meditation, try reading, a massage or having a bath. Any activity that eliminates noise and gives you 20 peaceful minutes to yourself.

2. DO THINGS YOU VALUE
Do you say 'Yes' to everyone and never yourself? Try taking on less or re-evaluate the duties you've been assigned and do the ones you find value in. Don't spread yourself too thin.

3. FAMILY AND FRIENDS
If you start feeling the signs of an anxiety attack coming on or your in a stressful situation, call your friends and family or pop over for a cup of tea. A good social support network can remind you that you are 'allowed' to be yourself, have fun and be comfortable.

4. RE-EVALUATE THE MOMENT
Picture yourself looking in to the scenario and try to view it from an outsider's perspective. Is it as bad as you think it is? Would someone else think, act or feel the same way in that situation? Sometimes by dis-engaging you can view it objectively and remove emotion. Afterwards, return to the moment and focus on the here and now, not the past or 'what if' of the future.

5. USE HUMOUR
Got a friend who always makes you laugh? Well, get chatting and have a side-tickling time. Finding the funny side of a situation can help reduce fear. Other simple ways to get laughing could include watching a funny DVD or spending time with kids - children can come up with the best one-liners!

6. A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
Alcohol is not the answer. Trust me! Eating nutrious food, getting adequate sleep and regular excerise all help to fight daily stresses. Personally, I found exercise gave me one hour to myself each day to think (see Point 1) and recharge the batteries.

7. POSITIVE THINKING
Thanks to the number one best seller 'The Secret', the power of positive thinking got a bad wrap, but it worked for me. By turning the negative thoughts I was having about myself into positive affirmations I started feeling better about myself. The simplicity of: "I am an intelligent and valuable person" is very powerful. Find one that suits you and write it down. Read it as often as you need to.

8. LEARN TO SAY NO
Similar to Point 2, learning to say No is crucial to develop boundaries. You don't need to do everything to win other's approval, so be honest to yourself and to others from the beginning. If they don't like it, they aren't worth having around.

9. PRIORITISE YOURSELF
If you are stressed, exhausted and anxious to the point of burnout you will have trouble being of any use to yourself, let alone someone else. Value You!

10. SELF COMPASSION
Remember the Ben Lee song, "We are all in this together". You are not alone and we all feel stressed at some time. Take comfort in the knowledge that you are meant to be here and you are loved.


These tips are a combination of my own thoughts and points sourced from Madison Magazine. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...