Monday 9 May 2011

A Thai-rific Mother's Day: Review

My two beautiful boys (partner and son) decided the best Mother’s Day gift they could give me was a few hours of pure indulgence away from dirty nappies and the household chores. They were right. A massage, facial and time to myself on a Sunday afternoon was exactly what I needed!

I arrived at the Thai Essence Day Spa, an unassuming beauty and massage space in Norman Park, ready for my two hour pamper package. I was surprised how quickly the smell of oils and sound of a fountain calmed me down and made me forget about the mess I’d left back home.  After taking a few sips of green tea and filling out the necessary paper work about injuries, likes and dislikes I was raring to go.

The Massage: I’ve never had the pleasure of a thai-massage before so I didn’t know what to expect.  To be honest I was looking forward to falling asleep but how naive I was. To stimulate circulation my arms, legs, back, neck, head, shoulders, hands and feet were pulled, poked and prodded in all directions by a very strong woman. It felt like trying to sleep in a yoga class and someone else was moving you into position. My limbs hadn’t moved like that since I was 12, but my body obviously appreciated it because each joint sang with the relief of tension afterwards. This contortionist act only lasted a minute or two before I was greased up in essential oils and treated to a ‘regular’ massage for the rest of the hour. Simply heaven!

The Facial: Ten minutes later (to me) it was time for my double cleansing facial. I have to say there wasn’t an element of the treatment that stood out for me. I think when you’ve had one facial you’ve had them all, but this time ‘round the facial massage, face mask, eye gel treatment and extra hand massage was exactly what the doctor ordered. My skin was so revived and refreshed I could feel it glowing from the inside.

The Vibe: I didn’t get time to speak to staff on arrival because I was a few minutes late, but they were pleasant enough and instilled confidence in me that I was in safe and very capable hands. The Thai-themed treatment rooms were comfortable, clean and cosy. Another lovely feature is the Thai Cafe located at the front of the property. Why not take advantage and organise a cuppa with girlfriends afterwards so they can be jealous of your fabulous glow? 

Overall: My therapist knew exactly what she was doing, was very friendly and professional. When she found out the package was my Mother’s Day gift she offered to paint my toes nails free of charge. It was a lovely sneaky touch (I couldn’t tell anyone) that I accepted with glee. With my body singing, face gleaming and toes sparkling I couldn’t wait to get home to show the boys what they did for Mummy. 

Details: Thai Essence Day Spa, 130 Bennetts Road, Norman Park. 
Open Monday to Friday 9am to 7pm, Saturday & Sunday 10am to 6pm.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...