Saturday 7 May 2011

Here comes the McQueen

While HRH Prince William and Catherine Middleton were whisked away in a helicopter for their first weekend as a married couple, I was at the newsagency buying every newspaper and magazine to satisfy my insatiable appetite for the glorious couple – in particular Ms Middleton.
I have to admit, I didn’t see this new obsession coming. When their engagement was announced, I was really pleased for them. I love a good wedding bash as much as the next chick, but excited? Nope, surely it’s just another celebrity wedding.  Oh, how wrong I was.

Five months to the big day crawled along as the world’s media worked itself into a frenzy to secure their ‘exclusive’ royal stories. Week after week we met more residents from Bucklebury who all seemed to know Kate, we heard comparisons to the late Princess Diana and we shopped and partied in the same hot spots the glamorous couple did in the lead up to the wedding of the century.
Then Friday 29 April finally arrived. Crowds gathered outside Westminster Abbey, fashion experts predicted the dress would be ‘modern yet traditional’ and we got a bird’s eye view of how the happy couple would travel to Buckingham Palace in their horse and carriage. “Just get on with it!” I thought. I couldn’t care less...
My light bulb moment arrived as soon as the Royal family’s modern day saviour stepped from her Rolls Royce Phantom in that incredible Alexander McQueen by Sarah Burton gown.
“OMG! That is the most fabulous dress!”
“She’s amazing.” That was it. I was hooked.
The Duchess of Cambridge is now my fashspiration. From her genuine smile, sparkling eyes and dazzling complexion to that ridiculous figure, she captures my attention and I can’t get enough. Surely if a girl this ‘common’ can sweep the world, and me, off their feet in one dress, what else could she do?
As her enviable new life begins and her clothing starts to influence high street fashion across the globe, I will enjoy having this generation’s Grace Kelly single-handedly influence my wardrobe.

*Watch this space for more on 'KM' coming soon...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...