Thursday 9 June 2011

Ice Ice Baby

It's 11 degrees in Brisbane as I write this. I think someone 'upstairs' has flicked the switch to deep freeze because it never stays this cold past 9am in the Sunshine State - that I've had the misfortune of experiencing at least.

Most people love winter because of the opportunity to rug up in hats, scarves, glorious coats and drink red wine by the fire (read: heater)...not me! I'm a summer girl through and through. It might have something to do with my North Qld blood, but give me heat, cute togs, shorts, an ice cold jug of Sangria and I'm in heaven.



Another reason I probably dislike winter in Brisbane is because it's an outdoor city. The days are ideal for getting out and about and enjoying CityCat rides along the river. Nights are made for dining alfresco at the latest trendy bar/cafe and BBQs on the deck. The thought of going out during winter leaves me cold! Until now...

The fabulous organisers of the Australian Winter Festival have brought the Alpine winter experience to Brissy for the first time. Previously only available in Sydney and Melbourne, the festival opens today (until 26 June) in King George Square. The event's main highlights - for me at least - is the 900m2 outdoor ice skating rink, Lipton Chai Latte Lodge and indoor woodfires for guests to snuggle up and enjoy the delights of a Northern Hempishere winter.

The first time I went ice skating was with a group of school friends when I was 13. We use to go every Saturday, hang out and flirt with boys who where...15!!! Looking back I guess it was today's equivalent to sitting around your car with a group of mates at a McDonalds carpark. While I loved every second of it, an indoor ice skating rink in Townsville (where I'm from) is nothing compared to gliding on ice under a starry clear night sky - a thrill I enjoyed in London a few years ago.

I love ice skating, so needless to say I'm really excited! Bring on the low temperatures and snap freeze currently taking over the city, because I'm booking tickets for my hour on the ice. In the meantime I'm off to the dark recesses of my cupboard to find my London coat, scarf and gloves. Yippee!!


Ice skating in London circa December 08

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...