Thursday 23 June 2011

The First Lady: My New 'Savnista'





Michelle Obama's style is very well documented, photographed and analysed. Ever since she stepped on to the stage in that stunning one-shoulder white dress at her husband's inauguration in 2008, the First Lady has been America's new darling of fashion. Let's face it, there hasn't been another President's wife that has warranted so much attention since the ever-glamorous Jackie Kennedy - quiet rightly!

Now I don't normally take much notice of Michelle's outfits. Yes I buy my fair share of trashy mags and sit on People for hours skimming through all the celeb pics like any other normal (?) woman does, but Michelle's fashion hasn't been that high on my must-see-odomator. I'm not sure why. Maybe I see her as a bit to Mumsy for me - I'm holding onto my Independant Woman ideologies with gritted teeth and a monkey grip - or perhaps because she's associated to Politics? While I admire her style and taste I usually relate more to Reese Witherspoon (another Celeb/Girl crush I'll have to discuss another day).

That is until I saw this pic and discovered that her top is actually a $30 Gap dress. Nice work Mrs Obama! You've shown ladies across the world, Mothers or not, that style does not have to come with a large designer price tag.

I shouldn't be surprised really. Michelle once wore a white Gap tshirt to lunch with former First Lady Nancy Reagan and caused quite the stir. I knew I loved Gap tshirts for a reason!! I have several in a range of colours at home, but now I can honestly say I have the same 'outfit' as the First Lady - a stretch I know but I'm so going there!

Anywho... I'm proud to say Mrs Obama has found a new place in my heart as a savnista (savvy fashionista...get it?) and has inspired me to wear my Gap clothes over the weekend with pride and pretend I'm as super-stylish.

Happy Friday.
x

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...