Tuesday 9 August 2011

You'd Think I'd Be Use To This By Now...

I must apologise for not posting last week's Bubs in Brissie review. Not even one week old and that column is already behind. It seems as soon as I set myself a task and try to simulate a 'working' life my little man has completely different ideas, ceasing the opportunity to pick up a big shovel and throw it squarely into my well-meaning, somewhat organised routine.

For example as I write this I'm trying to ignore the fact he's stirring after only 45 minutes of sleep when he hasn't done that since he was a month old. I usually get at least 1.5 to 2 hours out of him twice a day. So...you can sense my mild frustrations with the little sausage.

Well, you'd think I'd be use to these out-of-nowhere changes by now. But, alas, I am not. E and I had an agreement. Once he was well fed, played, watched a little Wibbly Pig and chewed on his fingers and toes for a while, he'll happily give me some Bubba-free time and sleep. Now, please don't reply to this post telling me to get off my high-horse and be grateful for what I've got. I am. Plus I know some Mums out there would praise the Lord if their loved one(s) slept for 45 minutes, but I'm a greedy woman, a creature of habit, and once I get a taste of something I like (in this case a peaceful cuppa in front of Oprah) I want it all the time!

*Break here while I get E out of bed*

Now, where was I? The reason I'm waxing lyrical about E's sleeping patterns - as if this is interesting to anyone - is that he's started waking more and more during the night. Teach and I went from feeling good most days with E waking every 3 to 4 hours for night feeds, to all of a sudden waking each hour.  WTF? Everyone keeps telling me babies are suppose to start sleeping through the night after 5 months of age. It seems E didn't get the memo and went straight to his I'll-do-what-I-want in my, you know, like, teenage years.

How does a baby magically go from waking all the time to sleeping through? Surely it's something that builds up over time? Or is that just my pain threshold?

One well meaning friend asked after E a few weeks ago. When I mentioned his nights were slowly getting worse she replied matter-of-factly, 'Oh, your milk might not be nutritious anymore.' WHAT? I was left completely dumb founded. Since when does one's breast milk loose nutrients? Nurses, midwifes and health care professionals all shout the importance of breast feeding until a baby is 6 months old. Why at 4 months then would my milk not be any good? Needless to say I slowly spiralled into a paranoid Mother who started to think I was starving my baby boy. Teach could've smacked my well meaning friend for her off the cuff comment because it had me up most nights in panic.

I've since realised my 'friend' was trying to say that perhaps E needed to go on solids and my milk wasn't enough on its own anymore. If that's it, then she's actually right. Thanks to my over active imagination I conducted some extensive research of my own (ie. googled 'introducing solids') and decided it wouldn't hurt to get E to start tasting foods after a full milk feed. 

Just when I got use to the idea of Thelma and Louise (my boobs) as public property, now I have to think about preparing baby food and anticipating what E wants to eat. Do you prefer carrot or pumpkin? Is it too hot? Too cold? Is it cooked correctly? Are the pieces pureed enough? On and on and on... It seems I'll find anything to over analyse (not a shock to Teach at all) and worry over the smallest details. What if I get it wrong?

I asked another friend for advice on how I should prepare E's food when she told me her story. 'I use to only buy organic food, sterilise every piece of equipment beforehand, including knives and forks, only to watch Lilly crawl out the back door one day and put a big handful of dirt in her mouth. I didn't care so much after that.'

It seems no matter how hard I try I have to remember E is his own person and needs to learn and grow at his own speed, the way my parents allowed me and my brothers too. And, let's face it, E and I are both learning. Each day we find out something new about the other and what works for us. Now if E could just fit his learning and growing between 7am and 7pm I'd be greatly appreciative.

What have you learned from your children?

Footnote: If you were wondering, E is now happy as Larry rolling around on the carpet without a nappy on and a tummy full of Thelma and Louise's finest vintage. Whatta Man!!

2 comments:

Kaz said...

Loving your blogs Sian! I can relate to things and am learning from u as well!! Keep em coming xx

Simone from Cairns said...

You made me giggle out loud with the soil eating comment... You write like you are talking to us, very cool stuff. Keep it coming girly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...