Tuesday 22 November 2011

Brisbane's Hot Coffee Spots

A fix from Jamie's Espresso Bar

In anticipation of my brother's arrival from Melbourne last week, I decided to update my knowledge of Brisbane's coffee scene. Let's just say in the 15 years he's lived in Australia's coffee capital he never misses an opportunity to declare he's yet to find a half-decent Long Macchiato in "your town" to stir his little sis.

This time I was prepared to prove to him once and for all that Brisbane knows coffee. Plus, any excuse I have to get back on my old stomping ground of inner-city cafes and I'm there with more than bells on.

I started off slowly and took him to the usual, trustworthy coffee spots (intelligent) locals have come to know and love.  We buzzed from Campos Coffee (Fortitude Valley), to Flamingo Cafe (Fortitude Valley), then down the laneway to Brew (Brisbane City).

The down-to-earth aesthetic of each venue had him feeling at home, but it was the obvious respect the staff had for their jobs, the coffee and the brewing process that won him over. Now can you see what I was working with?

Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to try out the new PUK Espresso (Kangaroo Point), but we did make time to drop by The Rabbit Hole Ideation Cafe (West End) before he jumped on his flight home.


Love, love, love it! It's cosy, quaint, groovy and down right funk-tastic! If I still worked in the area Rabbit Hole would definitley be my daily go-to place for my early morning, mid-morning and afternoon caffeine fix.

Got family and friends visiting for Christmas or just sick of your local cafe serving sewage water as coffee? Here are a few more must-visit hot coffee spots I highly recommend:

Jamie's Espresso Bar (Robertson Street, Fortitude Valley): One of Brisbane's original hole-in-the-wall coffee spots. Pick up a great cuppa to enjoy as you walk around the James Street fashion precinct.

The Birds Nest Coffee and Collectables (Montague Street, South Brisbane): Stop here either before or after your day at the Gallery of Modern Art. Talking and walking? If you hit The Joynt you've gone to far.

D&D: Delectable
Dandelion & Driftwood (Gerler Road, Hendra): An adorable cafe for both tea and coffee lovers. It's one to keep up your sleeve for afternoon tea with your ladies.

Clarence Corner Bookshop & Cafe (Stanely Street, Woolloongabba): This is another personal fave. Who could possibly go past coffee and books? Plus you can text them your order, your ETA and it'll be ready for your arrival. If only it was my corner shop.
I recommend you bunker down with a brew here
Bunker (Railway Terrace, Milton): Named after the World War II bunker it now calls home, this cafe is home to the best brew on the West Side.

Do you agree? Please let me know if I've missed the one you love.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...