Thursday 17 November 2011

Have Prize Will Travel



Three days ago I started drafting a post about the importance of 'Being Optimistic' but found the words were MIA.

I was hoping the post would inspire me to stop dragging my heels on a personal business venture, but no matter how hard I tried or how many times I'd make a cuppa to spark inspiration, the delightful, witty and insightful post did not magically appear. Optimistic, I was not. 

Today, however, is slightly different because optimism found me in the most unlikely situation.

It all started when my mobile rang at 7.30am. The phone number wasn't blocked and I recognised it as a Brisbane number, but who would call me at this hour?

It couldn't be my bank. They appear as BLOCKED. Actually, my brain registers any blocked number as a warning signal that screams DO NOT ANSWER.  

It couldn't be Optus. I remembered to pay my overdue phone bill two days ago, plus they're based in Sydney so the area code doesn't match.

Surely it's not Greenpeace asking for another donation. I'm almost broke people. You should donate cash to me to put an end to this hungry mammal feeding her family on cans of tuna. You know, two birds, one stone. Now bugger off!

It's definitely not Mum because I haven't telepathically asked her to call me yet. I was planning on thinking about her tomorrow night after we both watch Neighbours and before I put E to bed.  She never fails to call within an hour of me thinking 'I haven't spoken to Mum this week.'

Maybe it's the Lotto people? Hang on, I don't play lotto. Oh well, best answer it.

'Hello, Sian speaking.' I said excitedly.

'Hi Sian, It's Bianca here from Peekaboo Magazine.' The cogs in my brain go into overdrive. Bianca from Peekaboo? Nope, nothing.

'You entered a competition for a trip to Fiji,' she started slowly. Did I? Oh, that must of happened the day I spent five hours on the Internet looking for a way to escape a teething, screaming child that never wanted to be put down.

'Yes, I sure did...' I was waiting with breathe that was bated.

'Congratulations. You won!'

I couldn't believe it. 'Really? Wow, thank you so much.'

After several weeks of waiting for the world to open up and swallow me whole, I suddenly felt it's weight lift. My self-imposed gloomy outlook changed instantly.


Teach, E and I have won a five-night holiday at the five-star Outrigger on the Lagoon in Fiji. Prize includes return airport transfers, breakfast each day, two one-hour spa treatments and child care. Fan-bloody-tastic! 

Not only did optimism find me thanks to a very welcomed phone call, but it carried me through the rest of the day and allowed me to get so much else done.

I got to thinking, if something this magical can happen when I least expect it, what else can life bless me with if I am open enough to let it?

My simple change in mindset impacted the rest of my day, week and maybe my month. The more positive energy I put into my day the more finally happened that I'd been waiting for. Talk about a great chain reaction.

So finally, I must say a very big thank you to Peekaboo Magazine and Outrigger on the Lagoon for a wonderful prize. We are greatly appreciative and can't wait to take full advantage of it in 2012.

Yippee!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...