Wednesday 16 November 2011

A Family Trend


Remember the craze of little gold and blue Suns and Moons plastered on everything? It took off in the 90s.

I loved it and got sucked right in. I was known far and wide (as far as my immediate friendship circle) for my addiction to the whimsical icons. From my doona cover, to table lamp, to throw cushions, to floor rugs, to wall clock, to a dinner set for one - plate, side plate, bowl and coffee cup decorated in yellow stars, suns and moons in a dark blue background. I remember sitting down for breakfast in my star covered boxer shorts with my own pretty porcelain. Awwwww.

Tragic? Totes! Therefore I won't go on to shame myself further by admitting I even painted my bedroom blue and yellow on my 19th birthday AND asked Mum to make me sun and star themed curtains for my present. That's tragic!

It seems every few years a new trend comes along to make ordinary people into unreasonable freakazoids addicted to, well, crap - for want of a better description.

Several years ago you couldn't throw a hub cap without it hitting a car covered in frangipani stickers. Oh, how I grew to detest those ridiculous pink, white and yellow stickers parading across the rear window.

Today, however, it seems everyone wants you to know who is in their family. They plaster stick figures of Dad, Mum, oldest daughter Janie, middle child Timmy, youngest brother Billy-Bob and their supply of farm animals over the window to, what exactly, boast that mine is bigger than yours?

It is my belief those family stickers should be replaced with a sign that reads WE HAVE A LOT OF SHIT SO PLEASE FOLLOW ME HOME AND ROB US BLIND. Because, let's face it, no one has any time to do anything these days (or so we keep being told) so why beat around the bush and just state the bleeding obvious. Surely, we'd all be better off.

In fact, why stop there? I think you should add pictures of your surf boards, bicycles, iPhones, iPads, LCD televisions, surround-sound entertainment units, Wii, X-Box, personal gym equipment and your credit card number and expiry date. Now that's interesting.

In an effort to extend its 15 minutes of popularity to 30 minutes, family stickers are now available to add to your everyday items. That's right folks, not only will we learn who is part of your family while we're stuck behind you in traffic, we can read it off your shirt, stationary, mobile devices and kitchen appliances.  Well, thank the Lord! I was so worried I'd forget.


I should go easier on you, shouldn't I? I understand this post is ironic coming from someone who writes a blog (another trend). So, to try and understand why you'd want to graffiti your car with that crap I'm going to put this sticker on my car....


What do you think?

1 comment:

wdn th said...

i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member.

and of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)

i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
(u can add me on facebook and contact me at : cheeringwinda@yahoo.com)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...