Friday 13 January 2012

An Open Letter to 2011

Dearest 2011,

Please let me take this opportunity to express my heart-felt thanks and gratitude for coming into my life. I had a feeling we would meet one day - perhaps we met sooner than anticipated - but in the end I'm so glad we had our time together.


I'll be honest with you. At first your presence had me riddled with anxiety. I wasn't sure how we'd cope living out of each others pockets for 365 days, but you soon won me over with your warmth, support, love, friendship, disarming honesty and sparkling personality. It didn't take long for your charm to transform the mindset of this cynical old cow and for that I will be eternally grateful.

May I ask a personal question? Was it as good for you as it was for me? The only reason I ask is that you seemed to have disappeared as quickly as you arrived.

Despite not being ready for you, I was very happy you were here, bringing with you the most precious gift of my life. In fact just the other day Teach and I were saying how comfortable we were with you, but then you decided to leave. 

I've been racking my brain as to what could have caused your sudden departure. What is something I said? Or maybe didn't say? In my attempt to find an answer I keep replaying this one particular night we shared together over in my mind. It was in early March. Do you remember? It seemed like we would be together forever.

Our friendship was still in its infancy but our guards came down rapidly as we talked at length about 'the good old days'. I'm laughing just thinking about it.

You had me in hysterics with stories of your mate. What was her name? 2007? Anyway, you were telling me about her wild ways. All she wanted to do was have fun, let her hair down, release stress and 'find her place' but in her desperate attempt to find happiness she was more miserable than ever. I could completely relate. A girl I use to know named 2006 was very similar. I'm sure they'd have a few stories to swap!

It was that night you were such a comfort to me while E was crying. Not to mention all the times that followed. No matter what happened, you were there. Guiding me from one day to the next with promises of better times ahead and unforgettable moments. How right you were!

I'm sorry I didn't acknowledge you more or take a moment to thank you for your help at the time, because it was your unwavering support that kept me going.


I understand now that you always had other plans. You knew what was just around the corner and that our time would soon be up. I guess you are with another family now. Helping them night after night. Day after day.

I wish you would've told me your plans. I would've loved to have cracked that bottle of Cab Sav with you once I'd finally stopped to catch my breath instead of planning for 2012's arrival. (BTW is your little Brother always this unorganised?  It's starting to do my head in.)


All that aside, thank you for everything you've done for me. For us. Thank you for introducing me to all those incredible moments that made up our time together. From the side-splittingly funny ones, to the hard ones, to the disappointing ones, to the rude-awakening ones, to the uncontrollable ones and even the down-right ridiculous ones.

I think I can speak for Teach as well when I say, each experience was a very memorable and blessed moment in time.  It is a friendship like yours that has made our lives truly spectacular and we will never forget it.

So my dear friend, wherever you are now, please know there will always be a special place for you in my heart and a treasured place in our family's history.

Yours, whose life will never be the same,
Sian.

x

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...