Friday 13 April 2012

Parisian Dreamin'

The air in Brisbane today is fresh, cool and slightly damp. The rain has been falling on and off for a day and a half with several days of intermittent weather remaining. 

It is on mornings such as this, when I'm obliged to stay indoors and drink copious amounts of Earl Grey Tea, my mind becomes preoccupied with memories of living in Paris. 

The romantic streetscapes, the red wine, the cheese, the coffee, the constant sound of sirens, the walks by the River Seine and along the Champs-Elysees, the mind-blowing history on every corner, the delectable mouth-watering fresh bread topped with bolders of brie....Oh, did I mention the red wine? Paradis! 
 
My trip down memory lane is bathed in divine sunshine because, if I am honest, living there was very difficult. I don't speak the language - despite signing up for an adult education class in French six months before I left - I was alone and only had a mobile that only worked occassionally and limited funds for day-to-day expenses (you know...the essentials: red wine, coffee, cheese and bread). But somehow I made it work, I found my way and I returned to tell the tale.

This is a little life lesson I remind myself of today as I get stuck in the revolving door of house cleaning, washing clothes, cooking E's food and generally playing Mum.

Take a look around. This is life. There are aspects that are foriegn to you, that are intimidating, scaring and down-right boring but you will find a way. Just put one foot in front of the other, one day at a time and I promise you will look back on these moments as ones bathed in divine sunshine because you made it your own.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...