Wednesday 25 April 2012

Pfft...Who needs sleep?!





'What if I learn to live without sleep?' I asked Teach this morning. 'Apparently Richard Branson survives on less than five hours sleep most nights. Maybe I'm the one who should change?'

'Five hours would be great, if you could get it,' Teach replied knowing full well I would kill the Pope for that much uninterrupted sleep in one night instead of existing on the sproadic 30 minute sleeps cycles E was currently in favour of.

I knew the idea was ridiculous, but I was clutching at straws in a bid to accept E's diabolical sleep pattern because yet again, dear reader, I find myself staring down the barrel of another day fuelled by strong coffee, grilled cheese sandwiches (the only thing I can manage on days like today) and toothpicks proping my eyes open after one of the worst nights we've ever had.

I've attempted control crying. I've attempted soothing him back to sleep with lullabys and calm pats on the back, but at 3am in the morning when my 'adorable' child refuses to sleep, my lullabys are about as soothing as long nails down a blackboard. I'm pretty sure last night was the first time E screamed louder just to shut me up!

Now in the light of day, I surrender. I'm sitting on the couch, waving a white tea towel to the heavens in sheer exhaustion and praying for answers. There must be a better way! Right?

Have you been in this situation before? What did you do? Did your child grow out of it (like everyone tells me E will) or did you take action? I don't believe in control crying and desperately need to get our lives back on track with a good nights sleep. Any ideas?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...