Thursday 27 October 2011

An Annual Tradition


It’s no secret I’m a lover of the longer days, balmy nights, time at the beach and BBQs on the deck that are synonymous with summer, but I have one other summer ritual I take great pride in each year and that is packing (read: dump in a large garbage bag and hide in cupboard) my old smelly jumpers, trackies and bed socks away for vibrant frocks,  plenty of arm candy and a must-never-take-off pair of dancing shoes! 

Yep, I usually go on a spring cleaning frenzy and make space for summer. I say usually because I haven’t been able to perform this magical ceremony for the past two years.

Last summer I was heavily pregnant with E so I lived in a moo moo and thongs. The thought of clothes was enough to send shivers down my spine with fear that nothing would fit, or worse still, couldn't be easily removed to satisfy my need to pee 1000 times a day. Clothes had to be large, roomy and oh so comfy. My thongs weren't the nicest either. I wore anything I could get my feet into without having to bed over to pull them on.

The year before that, my right foot was held captive in a Moon Boot for 6 weeks as a result of a tiny, *cough* drinking incident (that’s for me to know and you to find out) which meant no dancing for me at all. Actually, the only treat by foot enjoyed that year was a long shower without a plastic bag around it! Have you ever had to sit in a shower with one foot hanging over the edge so it doesn't get wet? My left leg nearly doubled in size from the work out.

Needless to say, this year I can’t wait to stand head-to-coat hanger with my wardrobe to cull...cull it all my pretties (insert evil witch laugh here). I’m not pregnant, so I don’t have to consider a growing belly other than the decadent food belly I’ll grow around Christmas. I’m not injured, so my feet are ready for a little shimmy on the dance floor in bloody nice shoes AND I’m not working (in paid employment at least) so I have time up my sleeve to complete the annual Cupboard Cull with the painstaking precision and dedication it deserves. 

Now I just need to find someone to pay for all my new purchases and a stylist to buy it because the more I think about it, the more I realise I'd rather be on the beach, under a big umbrella with a good magazine and my beautiful boys. It'll be our first summer together as a family, so I think it's time for a new annual tradition. Cupboard be damned!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...