Monday 24 October 2011

Presents for Baby

A close friend of mine is expecting her first child in January. I'm soooooooooooo excited for her because I can completely relate to where she's at during this magical time....besides that, I know her and her husband will adore being parents.

Since we discovered she had a bun in the oven, I've been racking my brain trying to decide on the perfect gift to welcome Baby to the world, but I'd also like to acknowledge this beautiful time for the new parents. Dilemma. Do I get something personal for my friend, a gift for Mum and Dad or a trinket for the new bub? Perhaps all of the above?



I've been looking back at the delightful and very thoughtful gifts Teach and I received when E arrived for inspiration. Some items I'd never consider buying myself but now I couldn't live without them - nor could E.

Here is the short list so far:

1. Organic Baby Clothing
I didn't spend much on E's wardrobe before he was born (aside from the fact we didn't know if we were having a boy or girl I didn't want to spend cash on goods he'd wear once) but I wouldn't hesitate investing in Bamboo and Organic Cotton clothing for a friends bub, because they are soooo soft, natural and environmentally friendly. Snooky has a fantastic range at affordable prices.


2. Books
 
My girlfriend is a book-aholic so I think she'll love a range of classic children's books to start her baby's collection. E's current favourite is The Very Hungry Caterpillar so I think this one will be on top of the pile.

3.Bedding


Bedding was a common gift Teach and I received and one we found very practical. Honestly, the thought of investing in decent sheets and a cot blanket never crossed my mind. I thought, 'As if he'll know that his sheets aren't 100% cotton.' But after several months of soaking, washing and drying, I am very thankful they are still in pristine condition. Here is a gorgeous range from Little Chippi.

4. Baby Shoes

Non-practical gift time. These are just too cute NOT to consider! I could put my credit card under serious strain at Charli Bear if I had my way! I wish they came in Mum sizes too.

5. A Massage



E (i.e. Teach) gave me a voucher for a one-hour massage and a one-hour facial for Mother's Day earlier this year. It was, without a doubt, the most enjoyable two hours I've ever had. Time alone after having a baby is crucial (for me at least) because it allows you to refocus, regroup and have that all important Me time - something you take for granted sans child. A massage for Dad could be just as valuable... we tend to forget new Dads sometimes. I'd get them a voucher at Rainesforest Massage & Day Spa and happily babysit.

6. Food


If my girlfriend is anything like me after giving birth, she'll set up camp at Starvation Central thanks to all that breast feeding and bloody hard work! But who could be bothered cooking when you want to spend all your time with your precious new bundle of joy AND catching up on sleep! As daggy as it might sound, I've decided to prepare a Welcome Home Hamper consisting of tea, coffee, pastries, prepared meals, snacks, chocolate, fruit etc...  First Class Hampers has a great selection if laziness strikes.

Do you have a fail safe newborn baby present you always give or was there one item you loved receiving?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...