Wednesday 12 October 2011

My Five Fave Spots In Townsville

E and I arrived in Townsville, my home town, yesterday to celebrate my parents' 40th wedding annniversary on the weekend.


I left 'The Ville' (as it's commonly called) more than ten years ago and have  no real desire to return. Not out of any dislike for the city, I should add, it's just that it reminds me of my teenage years. Each time I come back I remember the mischief, the late drunken nights, the first dates and the clubbing years. While some of those memories are fantastic, others I'd prefer to leave here, where they belong, not see them again at the shopping centre or in the queue at the pub. Eeek!

This town, in my opinion, is my parents town. Their life is here. I love coming back for a week to see them, but at 18 I knew I'd leave to create a home elsewhere. I did. I have.

All that aside, whenever I venture north of the equator, sorry I mean, to Townsville, these are the five things I always do, because to me they are an essential part of The Ville experience.

1. Have a beer at The Brewery:

Developed in Townsville's historic Post Office Building, this Restaurant/Bar is a great spot for a coldie. The onsite Brew House is visible to all patrons which adds a sense of participation to the brewing process, but it's the seven locally owned and made beers that have the beer connoisseurs coming back for more.  The pub grub isn't bad either, but the bar snacks will satisfy most. I enjoy a pint or two of the Belgian Blonde.

2. Have a BBQ on The Strand:


Arguably the most popular and well known city attraction, the Strand is home to free BBQ areas, a water park (pictured), a surf life saving club, a man-made rockpool and landscaped parklands. Several restaurants and cafes are located on the headlands with gorgeous views to Magnetic Island, but it's the space to have a picnic with friends and the afternoon sea breezes that gets me everytime. 

3. Walk up Castle Hill:

Many locals use Castle Hill as their daily source of exercise, hiking up and down before they go off to work. Once you reach the top stay for a moment to enjoy the panaromic views of the town and nearby islands. Insider's tip: if you plan to walk it, allow approx 1 hour for the return walk and do it either first thing in the morning before the heat of the day (approx 6am) or early evening (approx 6pm) - it could save you from severe dehydration and/or sun stroke. There is a goat track, but everyone generally sticks to the main road.

4. Enjoy dinner at A Touch of Salt:


This waterside venue (pictured above) has been my family's favourite restaurant since it opened several years ago. The menu is simple and elegant, the food is divine and the wine list is second to none. It is so popular that its sister property The Salt Cellar opened a couple of years back to keep demanding foodies fed. It's five stars for this top nosh!!

5. Swim at Balgal Beach:


Balgal Beach is approximately 40 minutes drive north of Townsville past several other beaches that remain well known to locals but hidden gems to visitors. Those keen for a dip in the big blue will have to swim in the netted enclosure during stinger season (October to May) however the laidback atmosphere and refreshing waters will make up for it. I know Teach can't wait to take E here for his first swim in the ocean.

Any other recommendations?
For further information go to Queensland Holidays.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...