Friday 22 July 2011

Home is where the heart is at 5am

E is waking at 5am these days. He's decided because it's winter and 5am is usually the coldest part of the day, he'd have some fun and make Mumma get up and start her day. He giggles and laughs when I come in to get him in the morning. 'Yay, she's here and out of her warm bed. Woo hoo! That's 27 to E and zero to Mum.'

5am. I haven't had two 5 o'clocks in my day since I was footloose and fancy free. Living the single life with verve, vigor and my good friend Vodka. Oh, I remember those days so well - I think? Girlfriends and I would start the night with a few drinks at my inner-city apartment then walk into the Valley for a dance and one or... cough, two beverages. This was before the days of a 3am lock out when you were allowed back in if you happen to go outside to take a phone call or leave your friend in the loo...I digress.

5am was a respectable hour to be awake back then. It was a badge of honour. Something you'd boast about at 9am on Monday morning when your boss asks why you smell like a brewery and sound like a man. 'Um, I've only had 2 hours sleep,' I'd whisper. My boss, bless her cotton socks, would love this news and load me up with extra work and have me out at meetings with clients to ensure I worked harder than normal. She had just as much fun with me as E does now.

Today, 5am is punishment.  After a night of E waking each hour, 5am is not a badge of honour but more a trumpet call of parenthood. YOU'VE ARRIVED! With eyes falling out of my head and a cup of tea glued to my hand, I try to start the day. I think of Bridget Jones at her Mother's Turkey Curry Buffet and agree, I should have my head in a toilet like other normal people not singing Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes to a five month old... Aaaaargh!

Despite my protesting I can't imagine life any other way. Even if I wasn't a proud Mumma, I'm not sure I'd want to be out late anymore. Who has the energy? More importantly who has the bloody money!! $15 for a glass of wine...tell 'em their dreamin'. Nope, give me a friday night in with my two favourite boys, a big serve of homemade lasagna, a glass of vino (from a bottle that costs less than $15) and I'm the happiest woman in the world.

Yes, I'm a Cancerian. We're a notorious bunch of home bodies but I don't think I'd go out even if I could. Home is my safe haven, my office, my playground, my favourite restaurant, my cafe, my movie theatre and my disco-tecque. Home is where my heart is even at 5am in the morning and I wouldn't change it for the world. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...